EEIS 東京大学大学院 工学系研究科 電気系工学専攻

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I need a VISA to come to Japan. Kindly help visa application.

The Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Systems cannot facilitate a visa for applicants who wish to take the entrance examination.

I am also planning on applying for the MEXT Scholarship. What would be the application procedure?

As for the scholarship, please refer to the following page.

I want to pursue a Master's program in your department. Please inform me about the application process and the possibility to apply for a master's degree from September.

As for the application process to our department, please refer to the following page.

Is fluency in the Japanese language mandatory for completing the Master's Program in your university? I do not know the Japanese language but have an interest to learn it.

The Japanese language is not mandatory for this Master's program. Many lectures are given in English and Japanese language classes are also offered for international students. Japanese language class

I want to take the entrance examination for Ph.D courses. How can I register the entrance exam and when is the registration date?

Please visit the following web sites to obtain the general information for admission.
The details of the examination for our department are described in the following web page.

During the examination dates, is there a dormitory or place to stay for applicants at your university? If not, please recommend hotels near the university.

Unfortunately, for your stay during the examination period, we cannot offer any place to stay. But there are many hotels around the Hongo, Ueno, and Ochanomizu areas.

I have taken TOEFL-PBT. Can I use it for admission? If I use TOEFL-PBT, do I need to take TOEFL-ITP?

Regarding TOEFL scores, please refer to the following page

Is there minimum TOEFL score for admission?

There is no minimum score for admission. The judgment whether you will submit the TOEFL score or not is entirely left to you.

I am a native English speaker, so I would like to know whether I am required to take an English test for the entrance examination, or submit a TOEFL score?

All applicants are supposed to submit an official TOEFL score with an application form or take the “English (TOEFL-ITP)” examination regardless of whether you are a native speaker or not.


For other questions related to admissions, please contact us through the information below.

7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656
The University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Engineering
Office of Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Systems
Tel: 03-5841-6712